Charles Culler School first opened its doors in 1958 as a combination junior high and elementary school. The initial enrollment was 285 students. From 1963 to 1993 Culler was a junior high school with grades seven, eight, and nine. In 1993 Culler became the middle school we know today for grades six, seven, and eight. Current enrollment at Culler is approximately 660 students.
The school’s namesake, Charles Culler, began his career in education as a drafting teacher. Charles Culler continued his personal education and became the assistant principal at Lincoln High School. In 1922 Charles Culler was named the principal of Whittier Junior High School, he held this position for the next 26 years until 1948. Charles Culler was a great friend to the youth of Lincoln for many years.